8/18/2014

Errand


I don´t know why, but I really like this word. Maybe because, sometimes, I use an expression in Portuguese ("estava numa correria, estou numa correria danada) and one day I wanted to say the same in English. However, how could I say that ? I've tried to explain it to my tutor and she said: " ahhhhh.... you mean ´I was running a lot of errands' " Bingo!! :) :) 

"Errand", according to 
Merriam-Webster : "a short trip taken to attend to some business often for another" ;
Macmillan, : "a small job that involves going to collect or deliver something". 
Dictionary.com : " a short and quick trip to accomplish a specific purpose, as to buy something, deliver a package, or convey a message, often for someone else."

You can use "errand" in other contexts. Check it out on the links above!! ;) 

Ways to use "errand" :  "I have to run (some) errands." // "He runs errands after school." // "I have to run an errand." // " I've got to run (a few) errands."


To illustrate it, take a look at this website "Busy Home Solutions". They offer "errand services", such as : check on seniors at home; vehicle maintenance; wait for a repairman – cable, phone etc; run miscellaneous errands; water/plant care; gift buying; travel arrangements to appointments.




No comments:

Post a Comment